It’s hot. Face meltingly, makeup destroyingly hot. When it gets this gross outside, and the heat and humidity make sure I look like I’ve just come from a workout- no matter where I’ve been- I have to rely on a pretty light makeup routine to keep my skin happy. When minimal eyeshadow and light foundation are a must, the best products in my makeup bag are my lipsticks.
I’m sure there’s some #science to back up my summer-makeup-theory: if I wear lipstick as bright as the sun, the heat deflects and keeps me cooler. Sound unlikely? Yea, but that’s what delusion is for.
Anyway, I love orangey lipsticks. The love really kicked into high gear when I found an old lip crayon for this tutorial, and realized how much I really dug wearing such a vibrant warm pop of color, especially now that my hair is lighter. Here are my five favorite orangey-red lipsticks to help beat the summer heat.
1. Clinique Pop Lip Colour + Primer in Poppy Pop. This lipstick is awesome. The formula is smooth and buttery and the pigmentation is surprisingly opaque. It’s not long-wearing, and it transfers super easily, but I can also reapply without a mirror because of its forgiving texture. This lipstick is great for anyone looking for a no-muss, no-fuss comfortable vibrant lipstick. (I’m actually such a fan of the formula that I also bought Cherry Pop, which is the most GORGEOUS bright red).
2. Bite Beauty Cashmere Lip Cream in Sherry. This lip cream is super super vibrant. Bite Beauty uses food-grade ingredients in their lip products, so if you are looking for a brand that is ingredient-conscious, this one is your go-to. The lip cream is comfortable to wear, but I find it does at times pick up on patchy spots on my lips, if I have any dryness or chapping. It also transfers and requires frequent re-application- especially in the middle of the lips. But the color is just perfection, and I don’t notice it drying out my lips as the day goes.
3. Sephora Cream Lip Stain in Mandarin Muse. I love this formula. So much so that I own two additional shades in the range (strawberry kiss and watermelon slice.) This lipstick is great for long-wear. The pigmentation is great (and definitely the most orange of the ones listed today), and it dries down to a true matte finish, so transfer is minimal and I don’t really get patchy (despite multiple cups of coffee) until lunch. If there are any negatives, it does as it says- it stains. I often have to use makeup remover to get my lips back to normal at the end of the day, but that’s not really a complaint. Also, at only $14, it’s one of the most affordable liquid lipsticks on the market.
4. Bobbi Brown Hot Collection Art Stick-Orange. This one is for you ultra-matte lipstick lovers. The art stick has a creamy crayon texture, and once it’s set, there’s no moving it. The pigmentation is awesome, and there’s a special brightness to this shade that really pops. Because of the dry texture, I think it can pick up on patchy areas, and gets dry as the day goes. If I know I need a lip color to hang with me all day, I reach for this one.
5. Ciate London Liquid Velvet Matte Lip Slick in Risque. This one is the latest addition to my collection, and the one I reach for the most. The texture is exactly as described- velvet. It dries, and there’s no stickiness or tightness to the finish, but there’s still a bit of transfer, so it’s not an immovable liquid lipstick. I do have to touch up throughout the day, but the wear is so comfortable, I don’t mind. It’s super pigmented and bright and I feel like a rockstar when I wear it.
Let me know if there are other orange/red lipsticks I must own or try. I covet them all.
Subscribe to the blog using your email if you don’t want to miss a post! Follow my blog with Bloglovin.